Sunday, November 8, 2009

No drama, just selling

Remember that ad campaign for Nike shown in the movie "What Women Want ":

You don’t stand in front of a mirror before a run wondering what the road will think of your outfit.
You don’t have to listen to its jokes and pretend they’re funny in order to run on it.
It would not be easier to run if you dressed sexier.
The road doesn’t notice if you’re not wearing lipstick.
Does not care how old you are.
You do not feel uncomfortable because you make more money than the road.
And you can call on the road whenever you feel like it.
Whether it’s been a day or even a couple of hours since your last date.
The only thing the road cares about, is that you pay it a visit once in a while.
Nike. No games…just sports…

Rework that last statement to "No drama...just selling" and that is how I WISH I could feel about the different venues that I currently sell on. Seriously, as sellers/crafters/artisans we're busy enough creating, promoting, etc, that we shouldn't have to deal with the drama that happens on many of these sites.

After the last few busy days I decided to get caught up on some "news" by checking out some Etsy related blogs, forum etc. What I found was a whole bunch of drama (at both places). Now fortunatly I am not personally involved in any of this, and yes I know I don't have to read any of these threads/blogs. But isn't part of selling on venues such as Etsy & Artfire about being part of a community?

Instead, lately it seems to be just a huge soul-sucking ball of negative energy at either place.

I had heard something over the weekend from a long time (and very succesful) Etsy shop owner in regards to something that had been said by Etsy CEO Maria Thomas (this was said in a podcast or meet-up) something to that effect, anyways I was googling it because I wanted to see for myself verbatim what was said- because truthfully I am so upset by it that if I could see (or hear) it with my own eyes/ears I would shut down my Etsy shop 100% today. period. end of story. But in my search I found other things that upset me (like Etsy/Maria saying back in Feb 2009 that they were not going to make any major changes to search, yet they managed to totally screw it up the latter part of this year).

Anyways, so then I thought maybe I should put some effort into my Artfire shop - yet apparently a bunch of sellers are in an uproar over there too.

(sigh)

I don't want to worry about being edgy or cool, outspoken or a wall flower. I don't want to feel like an unappreciated customer (and yes even as sellers we are these venues customers). I don't want to worry about whether or not my products fit the sites aesthetics or marketing plans. I just want to sell. No games, no drama, just sell.


No comments:

Post a Comment